Here and there I had heard rumors about the dangers of Splenda and other sugar substitutes, but really anything man-made is dangerous so it's just a gamble between the least and most dangererous. A year or two ago I switched to using Splenda in my coffee thinking it was a move towards using less sugar. This past weekend, in an attempt to relieve myself of the misery of cold symptoms, I became worried I had perhaps ingested more acetaminophen then my liver could actually process. I of course began pouring over WEBMD and other articles trying to find whether or not I had poisoned my liver when I came across Splenda's harmful affects on the liver. More concerned with the present danger rather than the harm the cute, little, knife-weilding packets of Splenda with their sweet messages could be causing, I just saved the article for later. This morning while doing a bit searching on the dangers of Splenda I came across way more information than I had expected. I was aware of the dangers of aspartame (non-saccharide sweetener), but little did I realize all the dangers in using sugar substitutes. The labels would have you believe Splenda is a "natural" alternative to sugar. NOT SO MUCH. Splenda is the equivalent of NutraSweet/Equal, with the same poisonous ingredients and dangers and not surprisingly backed by the same corporate dollars and shoddy polititicians. Instead of going into details, I was able to find a video that encompasses the dangers of the chemical aspartame.
Needless to say, I immediately tossed every packet of Splenda in my kitchen this morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment