Lately I've thought about how much we've lost from just a few moments in time ten years ago. 9/11. You remember that day I'm sure. We've moved further from finding a solution to our problems, and now find ourselves in an even more compromising position with the world around us.
I would like to know how the "iconic photograph" from the special: 9/11 Remembered on the Yahoo Homepage is going to help me get through moment to moment today, my right now? I can't move my thoughts to a positive place because my fellow Americans and I are constantly bombarded with horrible images, sad stories and negative memories. Stories of the "woman covered in dust, " the courageous firefighters," and the ridiculous "digital moment of silence" to be held in honor (via) is some of the nonsense I've read and heard about this week.
How can those who were directly affected by the events of that day ever work through their grief if every corner they turn, they must endure a reopening of the tender wound? I understand positive reactions to the event such as community service in helping those directly affected in your community, or those you hold dear to you. A monument won't bring back those who died, nor will it help those who are still around.
If we took all of the money made from the story of 9/11 (movie sales from hollywood cash-in, music and literature sales, etc) , we could feed, clothe and house every child in the United States. Or what about the schools, renovations, and resources that could be provided with dollars and cents used to fund the monument out of ground zero? Yes, that was a really fucking horribly catastrophic day for some people, but I am less confident now that my government can work towards leading our country into a better future than I was ten years ago. We need an awakening to the real threat not a constant barrage of memories that take our collective mind to a negative and unproductive place.
1 comment:
I agree.
Perhaps the intent is to honor the day and ensure its preservation in American history as time passes.
Perhaps the intent is to keep people in a vengeful fervor for the next carbon copy terrorist they want the people to support a war against.
Surely the intent to create a financial vacuum based on people's tragic memories.
Post a Comment