Sunday, February 13, 2011

crafty

I miss posting with regularity very much, and I've ideas abound that I've thought to post about, yet I continue to have ridiculous gaps between my posts. My job leaves little room for motivation to post at the end of the day. With those ideas are, of course, my thoughts and opinions on the various people I interact with throughout the day. Some time back, I met a woman who works with porcelain. Lacking knowledge of the properties and pliability of porcelain, I had no idea it could be used to such a crafty end. A few weeks again she returned the store, and brought along some the rings she had made from the porcelain, giving me a chance to try a few on. With that being said, Jennifer actually gave me one of the rings, and it's lovely. I wanted to share that hear so you could see it's awesomeness.


Jennifer told me she uses porcelain so it's super strong. However, despite it's strength, there is a fragility about it - that if handled particularly roughly can crack and break. She told me about how she got into working with porcelain with how she started with clay in '89 at Haywood Community College, and then went on to study Anthropology. She said she couldn't stop dreaming of the wheel so signed up for a few classes and then was simply hooked and had to change her major to BFA w/ concentration in ceramics
As so many artists have done, she got a job that could help support her so she could continue to explore her work with porcelain. Jennifer got certified to teach. 
"I work on the wheel and amend them heavily for the s&p shakers and the jewelry is kind of new - only a year or two. I found people calling me the salt and pepper girl and although I still love making them and always will - I think - I just wanted to do some other fun things too."
Do check out her website kungfuclay.com to see more of her loveliness.

No comments: