As a student A has access to the campus library which means I also have access to the campus library. I had forgotten how fantastic university libraries can be as opposed to public libraries. I'm sure there are public libraries that are comparable, but the ones in my hometown are severely lacking. More than that though because having A get me books is allowing me to take it easy on Amazon since we've placed ourselves on a stricter budget since moving.
I began Flaubert in Egypt as I have a deep love for travel books of all kinds. This one, I've found, is no exception. I also love reading about the French and French culture. I'm sure that part of my affinitiy is no doubt a result of my romanticized view about other (i.e. a culture/history different (and older) than my own) cultures. the good, the bad, and the ugly. I love it all. Flaubert, as is to be expected, writes in a very baroque style and his descriptions are dead on. I came across "bleeding vermilion" in reference to sunset and it made me want to rush to buy a ticket so that I too may experience the Cairo sky. Reading this however, also made me want to write down my own still-very-vivid memories of my time in South Korea. Some of my time there has no doubt began to fuse together like the shapes in holograph that is rotated erratically, but many of them are as vivid as if I just returned. Reading just the small amount I did, left me thinking about travel and my own travels long after I had shut out the light. It also had me thinking about adventures, small discoveries, and merely paying attention to human behavior. We didn't move six thousand miles across the ocean, but we are in a new place (kind of) so there is much to be discovered and taken notice of. and written down?

No comments:
Post a Comment