Thursday, February 18, 2010

confounds me

I'm not trying to be unreasonable when I say I simply don't understand the craze that the Haiti earthquake ensued. Every blog I read, every website I log onto (even the Capital One Credit site) has a link for you to donate to the cause, I open bill statements that have a place for me to donate an extra dollar to the victims. There was a televised celebrity-telethon to raise money for Haiti. WTF? I just don't get it. So it was horrible, and it will take a while for them to rebuild, not to mention they are already quite poverty stricken and in debt, but I still don't get it.

This concerted effort seems so absurd to me because right here in the United States, let alone the rest of the world, there are millions going hungry, homeless, dying from illnesses they don't have the money to get treated from. If we are so damned concerned and willing to help then why are haven't we been donating money to organizations the whole time as we have to Haiti? Why hasn't Capital One offered me links to donate money to a cause before? Doesn't seem so fucking altruistic when you put it that way huh?

1 comment:

natural selection said...

Thank you for your critical insights anything to get us thinking again.

The real question is why? is Haiti one of the poorest nations?