Friday, October 30, 2009

"time present and time past"

I had a thought today, and I'm sure it's one that has been, will be shared by many others; that the reason the days proceeding Halloween seem to disappear so quickly is a result of advertising and consumerism. At the beginning of October (mid-September for many of the superstores) everyone is all but pushing the holidays on to everyone. Wal-mart actually began putting Christmas decorations and wrapping paper on display earlier this week. It's no wonder that by Christmas time people are in such foul moods as they rush (unnecessarily) around trying to prepare their homes and hearths for the family gatherings and feasts that will be. It seeems that time isn't really passing as quickly as everyone claims it is, rather our perception of time has been altered and thus everything seems to be moving faster. I'm not really sure this is an accurate articulation of my thoughts, but this is something I was pondering this morning when I woke up.

*the header is actually a line from T.S. Eliot's Burnt Norton of the Four Quartets series.

1 comment:

Susanna-Cole King said...

I think the rate at which time seems to pass, depends on how busy we keep ourselves... when I'm busy (which I honestly, don't really like to be) time flies, but when I'm just relaxing, and doing nothing much, time goes at a nice, slow pace. :)

xoxo,
S-C