Thursday, November 8, 2007

weighing some options

This is just a random thought/post about the future.


I’m always thinking about the future whether it be tomorrow, next week or even next year. Lately I’ve been thinking about the direction I’d like for my life to take (at least what is within my control) in so far as my career, job, etc. It’s that old adage “what do I want to be when I grow up?” I really believe that people are happiest when they are doing work that they enjoy and that which ignites their passions. I’m trying to figure out what that looks like for me. I know one thing: I don’t want to be an ESL instructor forever. As a matter of fact lately I don’t even know if I want to teach. When I was younger it seemed like the ideal job, and continued as thus until I actually started doing it. I’ve realized like with many other things in my life I: a) do not have the patience for it and b) do not like being the focus or center of attention in the sense that a teacher is (or any job for that matter). This is a good job now, but not something that will sustain me professionally!

I also know that I love literature and languages, especially learning languages. I have always thought that if I could get paid to learn foreign languages and combine my love for literature with occasional travel, I would really have found a great job. I’m not sure such a job exists, per se, but I’ve been researching and there are a few ways to exploit that interest.

more on those later...

No comments: